Saturday, June 27, 2015

A Matter of International Justice

A Matter of International Justice


Since this is my first blog post, nobody is listening yet -- I can say what I like and it doesn't matter if it’s interesting to anybody but me.

Murphy’s Manor, my gay comic strip, got started in response to a bar rag Jan Suter gave me. More about Jan later! He found a classified ad in this issue, and thought of me. What an opportunity to be published!


I wrote the International Justice Monthly – the name of the neatly letterpressed bar rag (a pig in a tux is still a swine). I don’t remember exactly what they said in reply to my letter. I probably sent samples of my SF/comic fan artwork. What they said generally was “no.”  With an excuse – perhaps that they were about to cease publication. It may have even been their suggestion that I self-syndicate, and perhaps they gave me  my first start of a mailing list of gay publications to sell my cartoons to.

That's right! I fell for the old classified ad routine. But look where it led. That'll be the story of this blog.







No comments: