Saturday, November 18, 2017

(164) Murphy's Manor - Name Games

By 1985 even I was catching on that referring to gay men by female names and playful cries of "girlfriend! girlfriend!" were out of date and not as chic as intended.

But does duchess change? Not a chance. He, pardon me, she knows what's what about the universe and a few shifting tides don't really alter her views. In any case, the first two panels of this strip are a near quote of a conversation I had at a Tuesday night Pro coffee with an old-timer who remembered the sixties and seventies.

the Tidbit about Marie Antoinette is actually true, at least if you take Murphy's Manor as a form of alternate history. You will recall that the duchess's name is Duval capet. I never worked out his lineage exactly, but I always gathered he truly was a duchess.




No comments: