Saturday, May 27, 2017

(83) What's Gay About Drag?

Doing drag was part of gay culture when I was coming out in Toledo in the early 80s. It wasn't quite that every gay man was expected to go in drag on Hallowe'en, but no one was surprised if you did.

I never got into drag myself, but writing for a gay audience felt that drag was expected. So when Hallowe'en came up, I decided to see what fun I could find in drag. I also managed to bring in my love of history. Oscar Wilde makes the first of several appearances in #83.

This is one case where the cartoonist steps aside and lets the characters take over.  Does anybody here remember how creative my costumes were for the Bensons' Hallowe'en parties? 

Not!!

I have no imagination whenever when it comes to costuming myself.  Luckily my characters have more imagination than I do.


No comments: