Monday, March 18, 2019

(224) Murphy's Manor - Am I too ... ?

Time was when gay men cared about gender roles. Maybe they still do, but it just escapes my notice. Be what you are,  and look for someone who likes it. Over the next 1,000 comic strips Vernon will gradually get the message. 

Heavens! Did I write that third panel? Yes, it's tacky. I was tempted to edit it.  Finally decided to leave it alone because it's what the character would have said in that time and place. Gay men's and women's groups were pretty separate then. Men held that  "gay" was inclusive, and women countered that they did not appreciate the atmosphere of gay men's social events. This strip is an example of what passed for gay humor. Usually Vernon goes along with it, but this time being  "effeminate" is getting him down. Sometimes even I am surprised at how much gender identity has changed. I'm also a little surprised at the foreshadowing it hints at  nearly  1,200 comic strips hence.







No comments: